Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 2008

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. We enjoyed Christmas this year and it was special for us all but it was different. We as a family have fought all sorts of illness. Hallie had Viral Croup which was very contagious. Several of us had Strep, many of us had sore throats, runny noses, fevers etc. We worried about the Nick and Noah getting any of these. So far we have all made it through but we are not over everything. Bryan has had a particular hard time this season and seems to go from one illness to another, headaches, etc. I don't know why this has happen but we are thankful for the Gospel and for our Lord Jesus Christ. He has strengthen our faith and our testimony through the little things we did for each other. We were disappointed when we had to cancel our annual Christmas Eve Party even though it was the right thing to do. We missed not being with family and friends and sharing the Christmas Cheer and message but wanted each of them to know that although they were not with us physically we felt their love in our hearts.

Christmas was special in many ways, the kids opening presents, Luke trying to take it all in and not having enough time to enjoy each present, Sydney getting her Barbie's Doll House, Hallie getting a scooter, Kendra getting her own DS, the spinach dip made by Natalie, the baking that CIndy and Natalie did, the beauty of the Christmas tree, the 8 - 12 inches of snow on Christmas day, talking with our Texas Family and listening to their excitement of what Santa brought and many many other blessings to numerous to list here.

Although there were many great things that happen that I could write about my top two are as follows: (1) I received from my lovely wife a special photograph of herself that brought me to tears along with it a letter expressing her love for me and her testimony of the Gospel. I will cherish this forever and this picture will hang in my office for the world to see. (2) Cindy and I have worked since before Thanksgiving putting together what we call our Stevens Heritage Cookbook. It was a labor of love and has all our family favorite recipes that we have loved over the years; many from our Grandparents, many from our friends and some that we found in one place or another. It was a work we loved doing and hope a blessing for our posterity which we hope will be cherished forever and that it will be used by our children's families and pass down through our grand children.

Yes it was the best of times and it was the worst of times. We hope that everyone had a great Christmas and that they were blessed and that you will have a happy healthy and prosperous New Year. With all our Love to all our family and friends.

4 comments:

Lonna said...

Ken, we missed all of you also for Christmas Eve. It was really a bummer not to see the kids on Christmas. Here's hoping next Christmas will be illness free!

Bryan said...

I also gave him a picture of me. It was me on a beach wearing a swimsuit I made myself. It was made out of 4 feet of masking tape, a cable wire, 7 paper towels and a handful of fur I pulled off the cat.

He didn't cry.

the Cheerful Optimist said...

I sent it to the People's magazine for the 10 worst dress of 2008.

Natalie said...

I don't know what happened but I didn't see this post until now. It was fun even though we were all sick and missed being with the rest of our family.