Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Question for Thanksgiving

Is it possible to offer a prayer of thanksgiving without asking for something?

President Eyring challenged us to periodically have a prayer where we just express gratitude for all that we have. I have tried this several times and I find it very hard. My intentions are good with my initial effort right on goal but before long I find myself asking for things. For example, I will be thanking the Lord for my family and then I find myself asking Him to bless them. It takes a lot of focus to meet this challenge and I hate to say this I have not been successful yet. However, my gratitude has expanded for all the Lord has done for me. I am truly thankful for all his help and inspiration and I find myself more dependent on Him each day.

So my question remains,

"Is it possible or have you offered a prayer of thanksgiving without asking for something?"

2 comments:

Lonna said...

Ken, I once knew a man who only prayed every day thanking the Lord for all that had been given to him. He said he never had to ask for blessings because the Lord took such good care of him. Now I can't imagine not asking for the help in daily life that we need. But all through the day I utter small prayers of thanks. Thanks for the beautiful valley I live in, thanks for a Temple right here. Thanks for my sweet husband. Thanks for such wonderful chidren. thanks for beautiful grandchildren. thanks for good friends. thanks for my pioneer heritage. I haven't risen to the point where Pres. is asking us to be of cause my poor mind wanders too much. But I can do it for moments at a time and I'll do like you and keep trying! We are so so so blessed.

Natalie said...

I have not been successful yet either. I am still working on this. It is a great way to help us to not take things for granted and to remember we are truly blessed!!!