Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sweater Sweater - maybe a quirk!

One of the things I like about the Fall is that I get to wear my sweaters. I really love wearing sweaters they are casual, comfortable and at times they have the air of elegance and professionalism. I suppose to some sweaters look like another layer of clothing but to me they have a very distinguishing look. I feel more powerful, have more confidence and just thrive on the enjoyment of wearing sweaters. My favorite is the V-neck but all styles are OK.

I have often wondered where the name for a sweater came from; maybe it is had a practical beginning i.e., like sweat-suits we wear for the gym. Here is an excerpt I found on the Internet. Notice the word 'bounder' I don't think that would describe my feelings about wearing sweaters!

History: It's an American term, deriving from a knitted shirt or a heavy woolen jersey (so called because sailors on the Isle of Jersey wore them). It was adopted in the 1890s by American sportsmen who wore them to make them sweat. (Don't ask me why.) First it had a stand-up edge around the neck, then for golf a polo collar was added to it in 1894. Cyclists continued to wear it with the stand-up edge for a while. But a 1900 source says that "no man can wear it as it now stands without looking like a bounder" (in Cunnington et al.'s A Dictionary of English Costume). In 1920 the English started to call the sweater jumper, and in 1930 pullover, which then found its way into German. It wasn't just the name that changed. While sweaters were a man's garment, mostly worn for sports, the jumper was an everyday item for everyone.

5 comments:

Princess Lisa said...

I, too, love the sweater! I was aware that other places call it a jumper. But I just can't get behind that. I don't jump into it. I may sweat in my sweater...but I don't jump.

Lonna said...

A sweater is just one more bulky layer of clothing. I feel so fat in them. An over sweater is nice, you know the kind that button or zip up. I take it off when I get inside. I'm just not a sweater kind of girl. But I am thrilled that you love them Ken. :) I will defend your right to wear them.

Bryan said...

I propose that the Sweater vest is the best of all sweaters. It says I'm cold enough for a sweater but I'm not going to be restricted by sleeves.

Natalie said...

I use to love to wear sweaters, but I just don't anymore. Most of the time they make me itch. I think the problem is that I am just to cheap to spend the money on a really nice sweater. I just end up with ones that lose their shape and make me itch. Oh, well!

Princess Lisa said...

I like your proposal Bryan. But I must disagree. It's like saying... "Hey, my torso may be cold, but strangely...my arms are toasty warm on their own!"
I just don't buy it! Commit to the sweater! I submit that those wearing sweater vests are only a fraud, playing to all sides.